Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Where I'm From (The pointed black and white version)

Where I’m From

Where I’m from is a black and white world.
Where I’m from is an A+ standard.
An energizer bunny would be worn out.
Where I’m from is a life of expectation;
Never stopping, always achieving,
A black and white future laid out from birth

Who I am is a gray painting in progress.

Where I’m from is a house started from nothing.
White man’s poverty, peanut butter & jelly, new clothes-
Only when my grandparents came.
Where I’m from is parents who married too young
With too many pressures, not enough reality.

Who I am is someone trying to escape the fallout.

Where I’m from is a “Learn From Me” household.
“Don’t make our mistakes. Take advantage of every opportunity”
Bright Kid. Bright Future.
So many opportunities for success!

Who I am is someone who wants to redefine success.

I can define hard work and perseverance,
Imitate goal setting, hoop jumping,
And going up hill both ways. Twice a day.
Where I’m from is an over- achieving bloodline
Doctor, Lawyer, Scholarship winner:
A Biomediphysicologist.

Who I am is a future English teacher

Where I’m from is a black and white expectation
That I keep trying to paint gray.

No comments: